Gene Buckle writes:
> > I think the big danger is at landing or takeoff.  If you lose an
> > engine or have any sort of mechanical failure on a single side, you
> > are going to hit hard at some really odd angle.  At least with a
> > helicopter you are probably going to land butt first and might have a
> > chance to try an autorotation.
> >
> Curt, there is a central transmission in the wing that will transfer the
> drive to the operating engine automatically so that won't happen.  If they
> both fail at once though....

You could also imagine that something downstream of this central
transmission could fail, again leaving you in an unhealthy state.  I
agree with the people who are saying this can be made to fly safely
within reasonable tolerances, but I also think there are certain
phases where it's probably always going to be a little less safe than
a helicopter, or perhaps you could say that certain types of failures
at certain times would be less survivable in the BA-609 ...

Regards,