> Right.  In other words if the nose is the 3D model origin,  it's
"altitude" is
> made that of the CG (as reported by JSBSim).  The aircraft is angled up
> for takeoff and the nose is way down near where the wheels should be and
the
> rest of the model is below the surface.

To throw another wrench into the mix, can you tell me if and/or how the
camera works when the viewpoint is from inside the cabin (pilot
eyepoint) - does that seem to work OK, now? ANd when viewing from a
spotter plane, is this where the problem initially was discovered?

> That's right.  But if the choose the nose (which I now agree is the way
to go)
> and report the lon/lat/alt at that nose, then we'll be way ahead at
least as
> far as getting JSBsim and YASim in sync.
>
> You are right about the options.  We could perhaps do the conversion on
fg
> side in the fginterface.

Yes, I really think the nose/hub tip is the way to go, because it is very
easily seen and requires few or no calculations. Norman proposes an
alternative which I respectfully ask to disagree with, but I suppose the
question should be asked of those who design the 3D models and the coders
on the FGFS side who place the airplane in the scene.

>From our side, we can provide the CG and euler angles, as we already do,
and also another fixed point in the structural frame - preferably one that
is commonly known, unambiguous, and readily visible on a 3-view.

When determining a common structural reference point, keep in mind many
different types of aircraft we simulate now, and may want to in the
future. P-51, B-52, DC-3, A-4, F-5, A-6, F-117, P-38, Wright Flyer, Incom
X-Wing (Interstellar fighter), a rocket of any kind ...

Also, Andy: which point does YASim provide to FGFS? Is it the CG, or some
other point?

Jon