On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 18:56, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> David Megginson writes:
> > Continuous LOD is probably a non-starter for us -- at least, the
> > implementations I've read about assume a regular elevation grid with a
> > simple texture mapped on top, and that doesn't describe the way we
> > model scenery.  If someone wants to try that, you'll probably want to
> > write it from scratch and then we can try plumbing it into
> > FlightGear.
>
> There are many issues with making CLOD work.  Many/most of them are
> solvable with a lot of effort.
>
> > For static LOD, we could create multiple versions of each tile at
> > different resolutions for different distances.  In that case, as Curt
> > has pointed out, the challenge is edge meshing.  Let's say that we
> > have four LOD versions for each tile, and that we have an algorithm
> > that guarantees no more than a single-step resolution jump between
> > tiles.  Any given edge will still have to be able to mesh up with
> > another tile of the same resolution, one higher, or one lower, so
> > we'll have, probably, over a hundred versions of each tile.
>
> It would be interesting to abstract out the scenery
> rendering/management system so that we could drop in additional
> schemes (maybe similar to the FDM's).
>
> There are a zillion different schemes to handle terrain LOD, most of
> which have been tried at one point or another, all of which have
> significant short comings, but many of which have significant
> strengths as well.
>
> In the end (for me) it came down to picking the approach that seemed
> to have the fewest short comings and then making it work as best as we
> can.
>
> No, we can't push out the visibility to obscene values, but consider
> that a reasonable visibility is 10 miles which we handle quite easily
> on average hardware.  Sure there are places in the world where the
> visibility is much higher, and as you gain alitude visibility
> increases.  But ... in my mind, if that's the only issue, I'm not too
> upset.
>
> I do like the idea of abstracting out the scenery subsystem.  This
> would allow someone else to gain a better understanding of the
> complexities of building a terrain renderer that works in a flight
> sim.  You'll need to consider things like:
>
>  - continuous world wide coverage
>  - disk space usage
>  - data availability
>  - edge matching if you use a tiling scheme
>  - ability to query for a terrain elevation at an arbitrary point
>  - ability to insert airports into the larger scheme (and do all the
>    appropriate edge matching)
>  - roads, rivers?
>  - random ground cover objects?
>
> The CLOD techniques are really slick, and I've seen some cool demos.
> However, I personally so far (and maybe something exists, I dunno)
> have not seen anyone pull all the pieces of this together and handle
> all the issues/needs required by a flight sim.

> [...]

You're absolutely right and IMHO it should be a long term goal to have a
terrain renderer (in a terrain interface architecture why not) that
supports long viewing distance and very detailed terrain with good
performance at high flying speeds and altitude (for example for military
aircrafts). But I agree it's no easy task at all and the current
renderer works great for 95% of uses.