> Yes I agree it would need to be done from scratch. I'm considering
> giving it a go. Another aspect of LOD rendering is you can't use OpenGL
> lighting since geometry is always changing, so lightmaps must be used
> for lighting. Vertex morphing is required so the terrain looks not
> changing.

In case you are interested, there is all the pieces for a
view-dependent LOD engine in the GTS library (http://gts.sf.net). It
is not restricted to regular (e.g. quadtree) data but can deal with
arbitary 3D triangulated surfaces (which would allow for the current
approach for road/rivers etc... in flightgear). It would even be
conceivable to include buildings etc... as part of the LOD terrain
(i.e. the same engine would deal with the LOD for both terrains and
buildings).

I don't think it would be too difficult to integrate this into
flightgear for a first stage demo which would only display a limited
area (an area which would fit in main memory).

Tha main issue to be solved is the paging/caching mechanism for larger
(global) data sets. There is litterature on this however and I could
give you references if you are interested.

I don't have personally much time to invest on this but I would be
happy to help on the GTS side of things.

Stephane