Michael Selig writes:

 > Some "real" numbers on the 310 are in one of Roskam's books, and
 > those same numbers are in the fgfs base package here:
 > ~fgfsbase/Aircraft-uiuc/Cessna310/aircraft.dat

Yes, I took my numbers from Roskam as well.

 > Personally, given the ability of fgfs to do a fairly high-fidelity
 > simulation (one of it's strengths), I'd stick w/ the published numbers.

That applies only if we're starting from the same assumptions as
Roskam.

Roskam probably assumed fuel in the tanks when he estimated the
moments with his AAA software (remember that his numbers are not from
actual flight tests).  Normally, that wouldn't matter so much, since
fuel tanks tend to be on the inboard portion of the wings, close to
the centre axis.  The 310, however, is a special case: each wingtip
tank holds 50 gallons of fuel, or approximately 300lb; since they're
on the wingtips, each tank has an arm of about 88 inches from the
centre axis, creating a very significant moment.

JSBSim, on the other hand, assumes no fuel in the tanks, and does an
additional calculation of the moment for the fuel when the tanks are
full.  Hence our (possible) problem.

 > Chances are that the 310 has a yaw damper as part of the autopilot
 > system.  JSBsim has yaw damper functionality, and the current UIUC
 > code (yet to be given to Curt) has this too.  Rather than tweaking
 > the aero and mass data, I suggest adding the yaw damper.

The yaw damper would have to be disengaged in turbulence (and many
other flight conditions), so we still need a flyable plane without it.
Fortunately, yaw instability is the least of the problems -- pitch and
roll instability are much more serious.

There's also no reason to include yaw dampers in the individual FDMs
-- we should be able to handle that in our FlightGear autopilot
module.

Roskam's pitch numbers are also worth investigating.  He gives the 310
a Cmalpha of only -0.137 in cruise, compared to -0.613 for the 182
-1.89 for the Beech 99.  That makes his 310 model surprisingly
unstable in the pitch axis.  On the other hand, in his climb condition
(5 degrees alpha), he gives a linear Cmalpha of -0.339, and in his
approach condition (6.6 degrees alpha, probably with flaps and gear
down), he gives a linear Cmalpha of -0.619.  We don't have enough
information to factor out the flaps and gear from the last value, but
these still suggest a steepening curve rather than a straight line --
i.e. the 310 is relatively unstable only in a small range around 0
alpha.

All the best,

David

--