Erik Hofman writes:

 > We have three FDM's of which two of them use windtunnel/flight-test
 > data and one is based on physical dimensions of the aircraft. The
 > latter is a bit less accurate but is easier to design a working
 > aircraft for.

To be fair, YASim is not necessarily less accurate, though it does use
a solver to fill in many of the blanks.

In fact, YASim is currently the only FDM that performs calculations
for each lifting surface separately -- YASim figures out the angle of
attack, lift, and drag for each surface then calculates moments from
the differential lift and drag, while JSBSim uses a single angle of
attack for the entire aircraft and simulates the differences in lift
and drag using a long series of moment coefficients.  Both are fine in
regular flight, but YASim's approach is likely to work better for
stalls, spins, and other aerobatic maneuvers outside of the regular
flight envelope.  Note that it's far from perfect so far, but at least
the potential is there (likewise, it would be much easier to simulate
something like a tailplane stall from icing in YASim).

JSBSim could do the same thing by providing an option to specify
separate coefficients and relative orientations for each lifting
surface.  Then, if the right wing were producing more lift than the
left, you would have a left roll; if the right wing were also
producing more drag, you would have a right yaw; and so on.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/