David Megginson wrote:
Bert Driehuis writes:

 > This is a recurring theme in the Windows world. Almost noone who
 > develops train models for MSTS and Trainz wants to part with their 3d
 > models, because of the abundance of unscrupulous folks who then market
 > the stuff they got for free. One developer I know even went as far as
 > changing locomotive shapes slightly to make rip-off models look really
 > bad.

That's why I prefer public domain even to open source -- people spend
way too long worrying about that kind of thing.

Now, I would be worried that getting data from other sources and putting it under the BSD license (which makes it possible to use it in closed source programs without permission from the original author) might be a problem for the original authour. Personally I think putting it under the GPL would be less of a problem to them.

Erik