On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 19:59, Jim Wilson wrote:
> Michael Selig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > I think Lee did an amazing job w/ the model.
>
> He sure did.  It is excellent work.

Always amazing work from Lee. Wonder how quick it is for him to throw a
plane together?

> > I think he used several
> > "tricks" (read that - things learned the hard way through experience), but
> > one I'm aware of are the logos and labels on the struts and gear.  In each
> > place a separate object (rectangle) was put on the surface, and then the
> > textures were stuck onto those.  That way the resolution of the logos comes
> > out very good.
>
> Also, the semi-transparent textures to simulate the fabric are very well done.
>  Now I'm thinking about that for the Wright Flyer.

Need to take another look at the wright flyer, last I looked I was
impressed too.

> His warping effects are very nice, and accomplished with less expensive
> geometry than the Flyer's wings, affording a couple extra intervals for
> smoother motion.  Still it would be quite nice I think to add the morphing
> tween controller support to the modeling code.  It could even be used to model
> the flex in conventional aircraft wings, especially airliners.

True...If/when we get more airliners, perhaps this can be incorporated?
Especially on bouncing landings or turbulence, or due to having a bush
pilot at the controls.

One thing though, how does it take off?

Looked through this site, but nothing revealed itself..Yet :).

http://www.ornithopter.net

Matt
PS Took some screenshots, two to be exact. One with wing down, another
with wing up, but screenshots don't do it that much justice. Wish one
could make mpeg movies in Linux of the desktop.