Lee Elliott writes:
> Hello all,
>
> While we're discussing texture sizes, I'd like to hear how people get on with
> high-poly models.
>
> While I have some problems if a lot of texture space is needed, I don't seem
> to have any trouble with what I'd consider to be high poly models.
>
> What are other peoples experiences in this respect?

I think we have some capacity (especially on higher end systems) for
cranking more polygons.  However, we need to be careful because we
might find ourselves throwing 10-100 of these aircraft into a single
scene (i.e. landing at a busy airport.)  We might be able to get away
with 1 high polygon count model, but if we have 10-100 it will kill us
... and if they are all parked at the airport, we might not be able to
use LOD to bail us out (like we could if the aircraft were all airborn
and flying normal routes with normal separation.)

In general, for real time simulation, it's a really good idea to try
to keep the polygon count down.  This is one of the biggest challenges
with building models for real time simulation.

Regards,

Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org