On Tuesday 22 July 2003 21:18, Jim Wilson wrote:
> Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> > > I have just committed a round of updates and reorganizations for Lee's
> > > YF23 model.
> > >
> > >     --aircraft=yf23-yasim
> > >
> > > Check it out, it's beautifully done, including nice gear strut
> > > animation.  He also added a shadow as part of the model (which is how
> > > they do it for the high end commercial driving sim we run here.)  It's
> > > not a perfect solution to shadows, but it works well in airport
> > > environments where they are the most important to have.
> >
> > One step further would be rotating the shadow (rolling and pitching) as
> > the aircraft does. For me that would be more than enough for a shadow.
>
> It'd be good to have the sun angle and heading on the property tree,  then
the
> shadow could be repositioned accordingly.
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

We were thinking exactly the same thing about the sun angle:)  It would be
nice to be able to off set it a bit but it's a very limited technique and
couldn't be easily adapted to cope with lighting angles below about 45 deg or
with roll.  It won't work where there's any appreciable ground slope and the
shadow will probably lift too far off the ground at high altitude, and then
be visible in the air from the tower view.

As Curt said, it could be ok for the airport environment and it's pretty easy
to add to models that have got a spare bit of texture space.

LeeE