If you are in 3D move the view to the right or left and you'll see the rate go
right back up.  The reason this works is the panel items are culled from the
view and I presume their textures can be swapped out by the card.  The hit in
the cockpit is primarily the texture ram, and a little bit more geometry
(quite a bit more in the case of the p51d).  In any case this little test
suggests that breaking aircraft into two models won't necessarily work.  And
if you want to be able to see the exterior parts from inside the cockpit
(which I definately do) then you will need to render both anyway.

Generally if aircraft models are used in a multiple aircraft situation, we
need to do at least one of two things.  One is have simplified aircraft models
(separate model which just has less polys and no cockpit).   The other thing
is to put LOD selectors in the animation xml for the model.  Some of the
aircraft already have xml that does this by selecting out the cockpit and
maybe gear when they are viewed from a certain distance.  In that case the
cockpit would be removed as well as other interior geometry.  I think the
first option is probably the most effective.  This is maybe a little different
than some other approaches, but my guess is we'll find that we'll need
separate models for "other aircraft" (AI and multiplayer) that are simplified
with much less geometry and smaller textures.

Best,

Jim