Lee Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Changing the model would stop that working of course, as the geometry would've
> changed, but it's a quick and simple way of getting a 'lite' (er) version of
> a model, at least with regard to texture space requirements.

Using the "reduce" function in ac3d and deleting a few objects I was able to
reduce the 747 model almost 80% without remapping textures at all.  Note that
you have to experiment with reducing different parts of the model different
percentages (the ctrl+z comes in handy for this kind of experimenting :-)).
The result is
a little rough up close,  but from a couple hundred meters viewing distance it
looks pretty much the same.

Screen shot:
http://www.spiderbark.com/fgfs/747reduced.png

Best,