Matevz Jekovec wrote:

But we can use a combination of both, right? If you will look at an aircraft at range of 150000 feets, you see nothing. At 100k feets, you see a dot. At 70000, you would see a triangle. At 50000, you would see a rough shape. At 25000, the next one and at 10000 a complete model without inner instruments. At 10 feet, you would see the inner instruments as well. I think LOD selector is very usable because instruments like radar, weapon control, radio controls etc. can really eat up lots of CPU for calculating and GPU for rendering it. So, when we implement all this some day, this might save lots of FPS then. We can assign a simple texture for e.g. radar behind the real calculated radar display to fill the whole between 100 and 10000 feet.

Don't have too high expectations about this. LOD calculations are already the limiting factor for FlightGear and this wil only help if there are dozens of aircraft flying around.

Erik