Is UDP good enough for network gaming?  Absolutely.  IMO, UDP is the
only thing good enough for online, real time gaming.

To answer a few questions, the --multiplay code uses only UDP.  I
believe there is another effort going on that uses TCP and a central
server to provide multiplay functionality, but I don't know much more
than that.

When we put our code together, we wanted the network to have as small an
overhead as possible, thus having a minimal effect on frame rate.  UDP,
is as small an overhead as you'll find.  If you need extra reliability,
then implement your own protocol at the application level - sequence
numbers, ACKs, NACKs - whatever you need, you can still keep it lighter
and faster than TCP/IP if it only needs to be simple.

If I had the time to develop the Multiplay code further for flightgear,
I'd add sequence numbers to the "update" packets (that contain player
positions), and simply throw away any that arrive out of order, and add
"control" messages that require ACK, but keep them 1 to 1 so message
queue complexity is greatly reduced.  If you develop a full on message
queue - you may as well have used TCP/IP.

Cheers,
Diarmuid Tyson.