On Monday 29 September 2003 16:24, Jim Wilson wrote:
> "Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > Lee Elliott has just contributed an AN225 to the FlightGear project
> > and I have just committed it to CVS.  This aircraft is the biggest one
> > built for FlightGear so far and it flies and looks really nice.
> >

> And the 747-400 quietly steps aside :-)
>
> BTW the only thing that might be bigger would be a spruce goose,  but
nothing
> will beat the an-225 for capacity (close to double the 747?).  How much
runway
> does it need at mto weight?
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

I got 9,200ft from the only site I found that had anything more detailed
than the obvious data.  Didn't say at what alt that was so I've assumed
sea level.

Trouble is, although I made quite a few notes, I didn't actually book-mark
the site:/  It also gave the max landing weight and the max taxiing
weight, both of which are quite a bit below the mto, but I didn't make a
note of those exact figures either:( (=about 0.85 fuel load, iirc)

I didn't really realise exactly how big this a/c was until I was well into
working on it but the range of flying weights is pretty extraordinary -
roughly between 600,000lbs - 1,200,000+lbs.  With a full fuel load for
max ferry range (15,000km) more than half the t/o weight is fuel
(>600,000lbs)

I got some good pics of it flying at an airshow, where it appears to be
surprisingly agile for such a large plane, but then it probably had less
than a 5% fuel load and with over 300,000lbs of thrust, at around
700,000lbs of weight, it would've had lift and energy to spare.

LeeE