John Barrett writes:
> when you say "null fdm + autopilot" -- it doenst appear the null FDM is a
> plane at all - wouldnt it make more sense to use the full FDM code with
> scripting to drive the existing autopilot code ?? i.e. script sets desired
> altitude, heading, speed, limits on pitch yaw roll rate of descent, etc
> allowed during manuevers, updates the desired settings in realtime based on
> positions of other planes and/or radio message traffic -- autopilot caries
> out those instructions -- isolates the AI from the actual complexities of
> controlling the aircraft

The NullFDM is just a place holder that does nothing.  This is useful
for cases when you want to update all the FDM variables from some
other source (like an external program communicating via the net.)

It doesn't do any interpolation or anything like that.  Attaching the
autopilot to it doesn't make sense.  NullFDM does exactly nothing
which is useful when you want the FDM functionality to come from
somewhere else.

Regards,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org