David Culp wrote:

I think the trick is to zero-out the speeds, forces and moments when the airplane's forward speed approaches zero. But you then have to allow the airplane to accelerate out of this "frozen" state to move again. I didn't find an answer.

After thinking a bit about this problem I might provide a clue for a solution.

For those who know the landing gear construction of the F-104 and F-16 a bit, the spring/damping effect of those are constructed by moving the main gear *sideways*. Now, if you start to wonder why this could be done: because the wheels are spinning!

This might give a clue for further discussion.
When the wheels are spinning there is virtually no sideways friction because the moment it applies there is a new part of the tire touching the ground. This makes me believe the *sideways* friction should be proportional to the wheel spin. Much friction when there is no wheel spin, virtually no sideways friction when the wheel is spinning.

Maybe this can help to solve the problem a bit?

Erik