On Thursday 27 Nov 2003 5:23 am, JD Fenech wrote:

> Not too shabby, but it probably has holes.  I do know that the last time
> I checked, FG will display the sun at midnight, especially if you fly up
> high enough, even if the earth is actually in the way, as in directly in
> the way.

The diagram looks wrong to me. Although the sun is 93 million miles away, it
is  *much* larger than the Earth, so the Earth's shadow is a cone tapering
*away* from the Sun.  I'm not sure if this damages JD's argument about
detecting Sun visibility for sensible aircraft altitudes (the atmosphere is a
very thin skin around the planet) but if the sim were ever extended to
spacecraft, we'd want to get the geometry exactly right.
Maybe I'll fire up FG for August 1999 and see if it does solar eclipses :¬)
Jonathan