On Saturday 10 January 2004 21:57, Jim Wilson wrote:
> Lee Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > The tip of the nose is fine with me but we need to clarify whether the
> > tip includes any nose-mounted pitots or probes.
> >
> > I'm specifically thinking about the TSR2 here, which has a nose mounted
> > probe but there will probably be others, if there aren't already.
> >
> > This is probably more of an issue for experimental a/c as most production
> > a/c seem to have them elsewhere, which makes sense to me as it'll cut
> > down the ground-space requirements.
> >
> > I'd be inclined to ignore any probes and specify the tip of the nose
> > 'cone', or fuselage.  I'm not sure that nose mounted probes are always
> > drawn to the correct size in the drawings we use for modelling, so it's
> > probably not a good idea to use them as reference points.
>
> We could specify probes and tubes narrower than 3" over its length to be
> excluded.  But prop cones would be considered.  I don't know...good point.
> Maybe a description of the nose location should be a standard comment at
> the top of the FDM config files?
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

Including prop cones sounds fine.  I'm not sure about the three inch limit
though - one of the later B-52 experimental a/c had a long probe attached to
it, that looked thicker than 3" but I'd be inclined not to use that as the
reference point, but use the nose location on a standard a/c.

How about the frontmost point on the leading edge of the main-wings at the
root - or would that be snafu'd by LEXs? e.g. F-18.  Could be a bit iffy on
the AN-225 as well, now that I think about it, as the wing roots flare into
the fuselage.

Leading edge of the elevator?

LeeE