On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:25:42 -0000
 "Jim Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jon S Berndt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

We normally track:

- Initial empty weight CG
- Dynamic CG (includes fuel burnoff)
- landing gear ground contact points
- scrape points
- pilot eyepoint (for calculating pilot accels for motion base systems and instruments)

and now,

- the Visual Reference Point (tm)

The VRP is what is returned to JSBSim.cxx (FGJSBsim == FGInterface)

So is the VRP what we see as lon/lat/alt?

If not, then what does it look like?

If it is, then what do we need to change in the JSBSim config files?

Let me clear up something said in an earlier email (by David Culp): I don't recall what the structural frame is for most of our aircraft - but I don't think they have their origins at the nose neccesarily. Although, it doesn't matter.

JSBSim reports a lat/lon/alt. Our recent changes will make it the lat/lon/alt of the VRP. It accounts for the offset from the CG and rotation of the aircraft, so that if you place the nose of the aircraft at this spot, all will be well.

Given each JSBSim aircraft config file, we will need to add the

AC_VRP ###

entry to each aircraft file. This may take some measuring ... may take some figuring. The location of the gear will alreay be there, as will the locations of scrape points (in some cases), the location of the eyepoint, etc. So, we ought to be able to figure the location of the nose tip in JSBSim structural coordinates.

Jon