"Curtis L. Olson" said:

> David Luff wrote:
> > Whilst on the subject of initialisation order, currently the tile manager
> > gets initialised before an initial position is set.  This means that it
> > loads a set of tiles centered on lat/lon of 0,0, and then loads a set of
> > tiles at the correct location.  In conditions of limited visibility, this
> > can result in forced tile deletion messages and a stutter during forced
> > deletion at some point in the flight since the tilemanager thinks it can't
> > keep up with deletion, but is in fact due to having twice as many tiles as
> > necessary (exacerbated by the fact that visibility doesn't get picked up
> > properly for several iterations).  Moving the tile manager init to occur
> > after the view manager init would be a good thing IMHO, to prevent the
> > doesn't seem to break anything).
>
> Hmmm, the tile manager *needs* to be initialized before the FDM because the
> FDM *needs* to know ground elevation for ground trimming, and we can't
> determine that until the local tile is loaded.  We never used to load a set
> of tiles around (0,0) so I'm not sure why that is.  The view manager code
> is very complex and to be honest I've never quite tracked with the latest
> changes in it.  There may be some odd dependency there.  I have also seen
> some wierdness in the tile scheduling/caching lately too.  I'm not sure
> what's going on there.  I started to investigate, but ran out of time the
> day I was looking at it.  It seems like at times we get into a situation
> where the tile cache isn't big enough for the set of local tiles and it
> thrashes.  That shouldn't happen, but there are some wierd view manager
> dependencies in there that I'm not even close to understanding.

IIRC there are some issues in relation to tile centers.  Off hand I can't
recall why, but I think the answer to both the FDM and tile center
dependencies lie in the FGLocation class.  Changing that to reference the
property tree elements may be the ticket.  It might be best if I take a look
at what would be required to unravel this, since I was the last to work on it.
 I'll report back in the next day or two.

Best,

Jim