Is it anything vital which need re-compiling when running kernel 2.6.x on a regular basis? I use a tuner card as a PVR by a cronjob and those modules wouldn't come up as usual. Slackware uses a script in /etc/rc.d to load sound modules and it's such a dog to switch between the kernels. If the right man used to Slackware could give a hint...

From my experience, tuner modules are more or less the same, at least they worked very fine (a bit faster, better and neater:)) out of the box when I upgraded from 2.4.21.
What really bothered me was that USB Scanner modules aren't present in 2.6 kernels anymore (scanner.o). There is libusb library for scanners instead and sane/xsane already supports it. You just have to load usb_uhci, hcd and other usb modules, change the newely created device (/proc/input/usb/something) premissions and that's it.
Another big change in 2.6 is that ide-scsi module isn't needed anymore. k3b already supports new 2.6 kernel atapi devices addresses.

These are my encountered 2 cents of 2.6 kernel. In my opinion, 2.6 kernel is really sweet. :)

- Matevz