Athanasios Mantes writes:

> Martin Spott wrote:

> >>FlightGear doesn't face similar problems. Sorry
> >>

> >.... but there is a resembling situation. As I understand FlightGear
> >_is_ capable of dealing with datasets of different resolutions. The
> >situation is solved by having all data chunks comply with a distinct
> >naming scheme based on the geographical location of each chunk. The a
> >search path for scenery data is set up and when the tile manager
> >requests a new tile he fetches the first one that appears in the search
> >path. Appropriate ordering is achieved by placing the highest
> >resolution chunks into the directory that appears first in the path,
> >

> Does this mean that all datasets are divided in tiles of the same
> dimension? If that is true, then the resolution of the datasets
> displayed is a multiple of  a pre-agreed quantum. (Forgive me if all
> that is trivial to flightgear developers, but I'm new to the subject...)

There is only one data set for the terrain at run time in FGFS

Any merging is done off line ahead of time in a preprocessing
operation that takes 'days' for the whole world

The resultant tiles may be of different size depending exactly where
you are but any required edge matching is all done offline ahead of
time in the preprocessing step.

Run time merging of different datasets is a difficult problem and is
currently beyond the scope of the FGFS Terrain engine

Good luck

Norman