Hello,
as I was the person to start this thread I'd like to add some meat tom
my complaint  :-)

"Jim Wilson" wrote:

> [...] We all know what it is like to suddenly have
> a block of time available to do something and not be sure when we'll
> see another.

This is valid, but not only for Curt - although he's supposed to be the
guy to whom belongs the greatest justification to make use of this
chance.
I'd like to express my point of view, my situation in such a release
process - it should be considered as nothing more than an additional
statement to the discussion but it represents a little part of my life.
I'm trying to write some documentation for FlightGear and I'm trying to
make it suitable for the releases. I spend almost 14 hours a day to
earn my income (I assume I'm not the only one on this list) so I don't
have much time during the week to run tests on FlightGear.

As Jim already realized:

> Do you ever have anything nice to say? :-)

.... there are quite a few 'inconsistencies' within FlightGear that are
worth pointing at and that show up during my test runs. Some of these
inconsitencies show up after half an hour of simulated flight and
everybody on this list can imagine that reproducing the feature/bug
under known conditions can'd be done within a day or two when you don't
have more than half an hour per day to deal with FlightGear (or even
less). So I'd need probably a whole day to point at a specific bug. As
I don't develop on the code myself I also have to make sure to rule out
user errors. In case you might have something else to do on the weekend
then you need at least a timeframe that includes two weekends to make
useful statements on the 'feature' you've found.

Another example (among others) is the altimeter-dialogue that was
recently introduced by DaveM. This dialogue is really a great thing -
but it is completely useless for those who have learnt flying according
to European rules (please correct me if I'm wrong !) because you can't
enter the reference pressure in hpa. Before I can write something
useful about a new feature in FlightGear (whatever it is, not
restricted to the alimeter dialogue) I have to familiarize myself with
that feature. How should this be done with such a short pre-release
cycle ?

Just my opinion. Maybe this is the right time for someone else to take
over the work on the "Getting Started" manual because my personal
time-restrictions are completely incompatible to the development- and
especially the release process.
You have my support on the idea of having a one month's code freeze
before 1.0.

Thank you for listening,
        Martin.