On Sunday 11 April 2004 08:33, Erik Hofman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed the just updated  Aircraft Todo List at:
> http://www.seedwiki.com/page.cfm?doc=Aircraft%20Todo%20List&wikiid=2418&wpi
>d=142747

Thanks, for having a look on the todo-list.
I also sent this todo-list to the flightgear-mailinglist when i put it on the
wiki page, but the mail was too big so i needed to wait for mailinglist
moderator approval.

Because keeping this todo-list up to date is a lot of work
and because i can't know every thing about every aircraft
everyone is welcome to correct or add entries to this aircraft-todo-list.

> There are a couple of issues for the F-16 which I want to address here:
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >++++ f16 General Dynamics F-16
> > f16-3d General Dynamics F-16 w. 3d cockpit
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >++++ Outside:
> > - flaps are in wrong position by default after starting flightgear
> > - flaps can't be triggered
>
> This is because flaps are flight computer controlled for the F-16. I
> suspect that about every (military) aircraft designed after the F-16
> does have the same behavior.

Thanks, i will correct that entry.

> > - strobe and landing lights are not available
>
> They are and they are bound to the right properties, but the properties
> are not triggered by any key stroke.

Ok.

> > - there are no flaps when using reverse thrust
>
> There is no reverse thrust available.

Thanks for the info, i allready thought about that issue but i  wasn't sure
if fighters do have such a thing. (The big airliners do have that)
But what is with braking parachutes? Does a f16 have braking parachutes?

> > 3d Cockpit:
> > - no cockpit light at night available
> > - rudder/stick control is available but not animated
>
> The stick in the F-16 really doesn't move at all (well it does move
> about 1 mm because pilots couldn't adjust to a non moving stick), but it
> is driven by the pressure pushed on the stick, not the movement itself.

Thanks, i didn't knew that, i will correct this entry in the todo-list.

> > - switches and levers available but can't be triggered with the mouse
>
> Don't expect that I will add the functions for all switches any time
> soon, there are just too many, and many of them have no use for a
> civilian flight simulator anyhow.

Don't worry, some entries (like missing windscreen wipers etc.)
are added to make sure that this issue is known for later fix in the near
future. I think it is better to write every down, even if it is a very small
problem or error.
That will make sure that we don't froget it later.

> > - no cockpit instruments available
> > - cockpit is only barely textured
>
> I'm not sure there will be much texturing since using different colors
> is often enough for cockpits and it saves on texture usage.

I don't think so, video Ram gets larger every year and someday flightgear
users will want also have some eye candy and photo realistic cockpits and
aircrafts.

> > - no pilot present in 3d cockpit
>
> I'm still in doubt I like the idea of having a pilot in the cockpit. If
> there is one you want it animated (rudder, throttle and stick) like the
> Hunter (which is btw a very nice job), but when it's animated it isn't
> realistic anymore because then you would see the gear handle move
> without the pilot getting his hands from the throttle.

Perhaps we will have someday some kind of skeletal animation system
in flightgear for the pilot that makes such things, even triggering the gear
handle  easier to do.

> > General:
> > - engine sound in cockpit does not differ from outside engine sound
> > - engines can't be turned off
> > - hud can't be turned off
>
> Yes it can. Did you test using the new SDL code, that might cause this
> problem.

For the source code, i used the cvs version before 1. April because
i needed a working version and there were so many issues with the source code
in the last view days so i abandoned using the newer source code. So this was
not a version with SDL code.
But the data directory with the aircrafts was up to date, i updated it on 9.
April.

> > - aircraft is not set on the correct elevation when starting flightsgear,
> > lowest part of the aircraft is approximately 0.20 m below the ground
>
> Note, this is not to complain about this list, just to clarify some
> things and show that it's often not as simple as you would expect.

Yes, i know, the same applies for the todo-list it should NOT be seen as
a list of complains.
It is just to make things easier like discovering things that wasn't thought
about before when the aircraft was created or just to write
down errors that where discovered by the users etc.
I hope that list will help improving fligthgear and its aircrafts.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.