Jon S Berndt wrote:

3) This one just occurred to me: I wonder if the control inputs from stick and rudder are linear? Or, are they perhaps graduated?

The controller devices can be all over the place, but as I mentioned, I'm trying to factor that out -- for example, I'm looking at how the aircraft reacts to a perturbance rather than how much stick it takes to bank, etc. Tony mentioned phugoids and Dutch roll, both of which I've been watching. I also tested both with a spring-loaded joystick and with the mouse (which has no autocentering action at all).

I think you might have been onto something with the moments of inertia: our current IXX, IYY, and IZZ apply to a Cessna 182, which is a heavier plane than a 172, though with the same wing area and wingspan. Here are the 182 numbers we're currently using:

 IXX = 948
 IYY = 1346
 IZZ = 1967

What numbers do you have for the Cherokee?

All the best,

David