Jon S Berndt wrote:

I'm not sure I see how the 182 figures into this. Higher values for MoI will make the aircraft slower to react to control inputs, and slower to react to damping. From your discussion yesterday I got the feeling that you were stating that the 172 was too "wild" - i.e. it was not damping out enough. Smaller MoIs would give better damping results (I think).

As an experiment, I tried halving and doubling the MoI's, and both shared many of the same handling problems. I suspect that the problem might be hiding somewhere in the yaw-roll coupling, but that's a tricky one to debug (it also doesn't help pitch control, of course).

All the best,

David