CHANDRASEKHAR ACHALLA wrote:
I was also wondering if flightgear already has the fire and smoke effects.

Regarding my last reply on that topic I had a quick look at sourceforge for the specific name of the project that I mentioned. It's named "FlightGear CombatZone" - but, well that specific project is already pretty old and doesn't have any files published, nor does it have a real webpage:

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/fgcombatzone/

But on the other hand there are plenty of other opensource projects
which already do what you seem to need, the first coming to my mind
would be "bzflag" - a tank (combat) simulation which is also based on
SimGear and makes already use of things like explosions, fire, smoke and collision detection:

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/bzflag/

I did some quick searches for other 3D projects in that category, but I think it would probably be really the easiest to look into the bzflag sources, on the one hand because that stuff is already SimGear based and hence it would probably be pretty straight forward to "borrow" some lines/fragments of code, and on the other hand bzflag has also an _incredibly large_ user AND *DEVELOPER* (> 50 !)community, so odds are good that your questions are answered pretty soon.

If bzflag alone is not sufficient already, here are some other opensource projects that might be useful for your purposes and which can be easily found at sourceforge, while some of these don't yet have any files/source released, contacting the developers might help you anyways:

3D FX Function library is a set of functions that will make your
programming life much easier. Already featuring lensflares, particle systems, explosions, etc, we hope to port to as many languages as
possible.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/dbdev/

An explosion simulator for 3D real time applications

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/explosion/

This project is a 3D engine developed in opengl. We want to develope a tool box with allows everyone to program 3D-demos using easy XML script. We need to program animation of 3d objects, humanoides, particle simulations, 2D/3D effects, transitions,...

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/cymagine/

VRGL, is a modified OpenGL runtime library for visual effects useful in virtual reality applications. It is intended for use with precompiled 3D graphics engines, like the one in Unreal Tournament 2003.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/vrgl/

An OpenGL Framework to build graphic effects and demos. Focuses on speed and performance rather than compatibility and portability. Currently based on OpenGL, the framework is meant to support software rendering in the future.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/glsilent/

C++ 3D graphics library for game developers, researchers, and students. It is a base of robust and high performance code common to most 3D projects.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/g3d-cpp/

FreeSOLID is a library for collision detection of three-dimensional objects undergoing rigid motion and deformation. FreeSOLID is designed to be used in interactive 3D graphics applications.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/freesolid/

OpenDynamics is a real-time 3D physics simulation core including
collision resolution. A C library, it consists of modules providing
linear algebra, newtonian dynamics, collision and contact resolution,
some constraints, aerodynamics and explosions.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/opendynamics/

The Phoenix Open Source Flight Simulator project is
designed to create the ultimate base for combat flight
simulators. Every piece will be designed as modular as
possible allowing component switching and a great opportunity
for community development.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/phoenixosfs/

The Combat Simulator Project is an open source project started by flight sim enthusiasts eager for a serious hardcore flight simulator.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/csp/

G3C provides the main features for 3D-game developers:
3D rendering engine based on openGL, collision detection,
physical rules, p2p network... A game-sample will be avaible,
binding a wargame, a flight simulator, a first person shooter, a MMOG...

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/g3c/

This library is an effort to provide a collision detection library
for generic polyhedra. Its purpose is mainly for 3D games where accurate
detection is needed between two non-simple objects.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/coldet/

Interactive Dynamics Library - Indy C++ library for rigid body
dynamics, specifically aimed at games. Project will hopefully support
full collision detection, collision and contact resolving, springs, constraints, etc.

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/indy/

3D Engine featuring : Particles systems, hierarchical animation, portal rendering, collision detection via BSPs, ISOSurfaces managing, NURBS, animated parametric surfaces, 3DSMAX plugin export for maps & objects, fast rendering via OpenGL

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/orion3d/

GTS provides a set of useful functions to deal with 3D surfaces meshed with interconnected triangles including collision detection, multiresolution models, constrained Delaunay triangulations and robust set operations (union, intersection, differences).

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/gts/

Well, you can find loads more ... just look for "3D effects", "opengl library", "collision detection", "combat simulator" etc.

Maybe that saves some time or at least keeps you from re-inventing the wheel ;-)

---------
Boris