Andy Ross wrote :

Attached is a patch that pre-reads the directory contents ahead of
time (currently that is a list of length zero) to avoid having to hit
the kernel (twice!) for every airport.

Under Linux, this doesn't provide much speedup.  But Windows (and
especially the cygwin libraries) has a somewhat less robust I/O system
in the face of many tiny operations.  Hopefully it will help there.
Can someone on each of cygwin, mingw and/or MSVC try this out and see
if it helps?

It halves the airport and nav loading time ( 9 -> 5 s ) so the total loading time goes from 23s to 19s on my Athlon64 3400+
This is compiled with MSVC 7.1

-Fred