Erik Hofman wrote:
> You can always argue what would be derived work: just the modified files
> or the complete package. Personally I would say the first.

Modifying a file is, pretty obviously, creating a "derived work" under
any reasonable interpretation. :)

> There is no argument possible about the JSBSim configuration files and
> (as far as I know) the 3d model.

In the case of the 3D model and textures, FlightGear has no relevant
copyright to protect.  Those are file formats that can be generated
and read by other tools.

The XML configuration files (the ones that were created from scratch,
not copied from existing ones), however, are clearly based on
FlightGear technology, and could theoretically be "derived".  A sane
interpretation would treat these like "documents" though, and they
would be owned by their author.  I don't think any of us are making the
argument that all FlightGear configuration files are derived works.

Likewise, an Aeromatic-generated configuration file *can* be
considered a derived work, because it contains "code" that was written
originally by David Culp et. al.  There is some precedent for this
kind of thing (older versions of GNU bison generated parsers that were
derived works and must be GPLed), but most tools don't bother with
that notion and just treat the generated files as documents.  Bison
now contains a specific exception to the GPL for the generated parser
code, for example.

Basically, it seems to me like these guys are fine, with a few
nit-picky exceptions like the joystick configuration.  I don't think
we need to raise a stink, except to get their derived stuff released as a
separate tarball somewhere.

Andy