Harald JOHNSEN wrote:

The best way I found to counter the z-buffer fighting is simply to disable z-buffer testing. Remember, we are painting the ground, why would we want any z tests (you can find situation where
this add artifacts of course).

Exactly, if you disable the z-buffer, you lose hidden surface removal. You can play tricks with drawing order, but this gets really complicated, really quickly, and you end up with things like runway lights from other airports showing through terrain and wierd stuff like that ...