On October 16, 2005 03:43 am, Harald JOHNSEN wrote:
> >I thought about the taxiway structure/format a while back.
> >I came to the conclusion that a raw polygon editor is about the only way
> >you're going to be able to create taxiways properly.
> >

> You mean, ac3d or blender ? No need to use a special editor if you want
> to draw polygons.
>
> >One can use rectangular or bent taxiway sections but when you get to all
> > the weird and wonderful taxiway layouts it's impossible to do with a
> > generic taxiway structure. This is very apparent where taxiways intersect
> > other taxiways, runways or aprons.
> >
> >The only thing that made sense to me was a 2D CAD type app like TaxiDraw
> > which can draw polygons of any shape and size.
>
> I don't want to do pixel or vertex editing, If I must do that then I use
> ac3d and I can do everything without any
> constraint. There is a tool for another sim that uses points, lines and
> splines to define the taxiways.

I agree with the accessment that using raw polygons is about the only way to
have proper taxiways.  Really, a taxiway is anything but rectangular, and no
matter how you mix and match a bunch of rectangles, it is simply impossible
to achieve the level of complexity that you can see in real life.  A CAD type
application for drawing taxiways may not be a bad idea. However, I think that
the process of taxiway generation should have nearly zero human involvement
instead.

Ampere