"Norman Vine" wrote:

> I vote for everything being triangle based like the underlying renderer

This puts us at risk to run into huge datasets for every taxiway
junction. And last but not least, by relying on a fixed sort of
geometries (be it rectangles like now or triangles as you proposed)
we're going to manoeuvre from one corner into the next one.
If we really aim at developing a foresighted taxiway geometry
description then let's use a flexible one. This still allows for
employing a triangulator to calculate the taxiway display in the final
scenery.

With the layout I've proposed you'll be able to determine everything
that's needed: The taxiway direction and hence the direction of the
centerline are determined by the perpendicular on the face sides of the
junction, where the regular taxiways are being connected. You can
determine how the centerline crosses the junction by calculating a
spline between these two opposing perpendiculars. You have an exact
description of the arc between the crossing taxiways and you have the
ability to smoothly connect the arc to the straight part by determining
the point where the tangent of the arc matches the straight taxiway
boundary line.
Needless to say that if you keep the straight part as short as possible
by definition you automagically can determine where to place the
taxiway signs.

Regards,
        Martin.