On Wednesday 02 November 2005 01:53, Innis Cunningham wrote:

> Hi All

> Now that I have been converted to 3D instrument making

> I am wundering if we should start an instrument repository

> like we have for the Aircraft and Scenery.This way a panel

> could be built quite quickly as people would not have to

> start from scratch every time.

> For this to work each instrument would have to be totally

> self contained like the instruments in the 747 and hunter

> and a few others that don't come to mind.

> The Beech b1900d system would appear not to be able to

> be used in this way because all the instruments use only a couple

> of texture sheets which would appear to me to mean you could

> not take an instrument in isolation and use it in another panel without

> having to modify it.Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

> Anyway thems is my thoughts what do you think

Sounds like a good idea.

I don't know if you'd be interested in finishing them, but I have a set of fairly generic 3D GA instruments that I made (IIRC, they mainly need animating)

Few bits of eye-candy:

http://www.cyfinity.com/fgfs/3dins2.jpg (shows bezel glasses)

http://www.cyfinity.com/fgfs/3dins2.jpg (sun on glass)

http://www.cyfinity.com/fgfs/kx155.jpg (radio stack)

Unfortunately, if you try to use textures to show digital instruments you get results like this:

http://www.cyfinity.com/fgfs/navcomerror.jpg Should read 120.50 and 118.85 etc but we never found a way to fix this.

For eg: The B1900 instruments now utilise 2d panel elements to render the digits, hence you can't easily seperate 2d and 3d elements.

Anyway, when I finally gave up my project (ran out of time and have none now), I'd done a full-panel mockup of the instruments I had made:

http://www.cyfinity.com/temp/3dkitmockupfinal.jpg

I *think* the models and .xml files might still be kicking around on another system (or even worse) a backup CD!! *somewhere*. If someone is genuinely interested in working with them, I'll look them out and put them somewhere they can be grabbed (assuming they still exists)

Let me know, cheers.

-- Dave Martin

http://museum.bounce-gaming.net