"Buchanan, Stuart"writes

--- Innis Cunningham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now that I have been converted to 3D instrument
> making
> I am wundering if we should start an instrument
> repository
> like we have for the Aircraft and Scenery.

The data CVS tree has a Aircraft/Instruments-3d
subdirectory with files/directories for some
3-dimensional instruments - is this what you mean?

The idea with the repository would be the same as the
aircraft and scenery repositories so most of the stuff can
be taken out of the DATA directory download to keep it
as trim as possible and to allow people to download exactly
what they want.

I was wondering about adding things like yokes,
pedals, throttles to it, but haven't got around to it
yet. Certainly it would make life easier when creating
a cockpit to just define their location rather than
placing them directly into the model in AC3D.

I certainly think that having hardware items to access makes the
job of modeling a lot easier if you don't have to reinvent the wheel
everytime.But for the time being I was just thinking of the instruments

Does anyone know what the performance hit of using a
3D instrument (say the ASI) rather than the standard
2-D one is? From a quick look, most of the instruments
work by simply shifting the needle texture slightly
forward from the back-face. I have been considering
using the 3-D instruments for my changes to the C182,
but backed off in case the performance hit was
unacceptable.

When I was doing 2D panels I was assured that there was
very little hit on the frame rates if any.I guess it is the total
number of surfaces in the model that determines the frame
rate.So I would think you could make a pretty detailed light
aircraft panel without affecting the frame rate.
When I was working on the A380 with Ampere Hardraade
we tried to keep the count under 10000 surfaces.
Also I think we have the ability to turn off various sections of the
model so that things that can't be seen from the current view
point can be turned off.Someone correct me if this is wrong.

-Stuart

Cheers
Innis