Josh Babcock wrote:
> Vivian Meazza wrote:
>
>>Josh Babcock
>>

>>>I just made up a tutorial about making gear retraction animations run
>>>smoothly with complicated landing gears. It's still missing the final
>>>animation code, but I thought I'd throw it up to see what everybody
>>>thinks. It's got lots of in-line images, so be warned. I'm considering
>>>changing this to in-line thumbnails hotlinked to the full sized images.
>>>Please give feedback.
>>>
>>>http://jrbabcock.home.comcast.net/gear-tutorial/gear-tutorial.html
>>>

>>Gosh, Josh, what an effort. Well done. Couple of points. First, I model the
>>gear with the oleos extended, which helps with getting the compression
>>right. Most drawings show the gear with the oleos at some intermediate
>>compression. Some interpretation/intelligent guesswork is usually required.
>>Second, sometimes the movement of jacks and draglinks etc. is too difficult
>>to model well, so I cheat and hide them once they can no longer be seen
>>readily (I do that anyway to save vertices).
>>
>>And one typo: separate.
>>
>>I'm impressed!
>>
>>Vivian

>>2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d
>>

> Good point. I also do this, but because this model has knees (not sure
> what to call them) instead of oleos, I skipped it. Still, it should be
> extended to that it is below the ground in its resting pos. I will add
> this, and a section for dealing with gear-compression-norm and
> gear-compression-m.
>
> I'll also add a LOD section. The neat thing about this method is that
> it's so east to get everything in the right position, so you don't
> really need to hide it until you close the doors.
>
> Josh

> 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d

OK, here's a new draft. I need to get a screenshot from FG, as well as
the distance that the gear compresses, which is a bit of a problem right
now. Putting in the rest of the code and the second missing image should
happen today. It is now in the right place:
http://jrbabcock.home.comcast.net/flightgear/gear-tutorial/gear-tutorial.html

Josh