On January 12, 2006 11:47 pm, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> There are a lot of ways we could go with this.
>
> If you could give me a set of polygon outlines for taxiways, I don't
> think that would be too hard to integrate with the current airport
> generator code.  Taxiways are just simple polygons, and the underlying
> code can handle arbitrary polygons.  There is an issue to think about
> with texturing (scaling and orientation) but we can probably do these
> free-form taxiways similar to how we do grass?  Or maybe we need to come
> up with something more sophisticated?

I have issues with that.  I don't really like the idea of having users going
through TerraGear, cutting holes into the terrain, only to expect to see the
results released in the next scenery update.  But assuming we do use the
current airport generator code, what format do you expect the data to be in?

> We could also handle the hanger/terminal data in the airport generator
> as well I would think.  If you could add some sort of height attributte
> to each shape, then the airport generator could generate the 3d models
> and place them correctly on the airport surface.
>
> The hardest part is generating the data.
>
> Curt.
The polygon-outline is available -- those SVG files are it.  The only problem
with them is that they are not scaled or orientated properly.

Ampere