Hi,

dene maxwell wrote:
> it's not just layout that is important, there have been instances where
> people have wanted uni-directional runways... this could just as equally
> apply to taxiways (I haven't come across any examples of this YET!)...
> defining taxi-ways as unirdirection or bidirectional could cater for
> specifically styled runway signs (if indeed this was the case in RL)...
> taking it a step further... apron markings could be layered over this. With
> the proprietry APT format this would be hard to implement...a more generic
> "tree" structure would be more extensible (I think this has been mentioned
> before as an advantage)

As it seems, the X-Plane authors are not keen to go away from the
apt.dat format, so if FlightGear would go away from bidirectional
compatibility with apt.dat, this would result in a clear split of the
databases and in ceasing the up to now fruitful exchange of data between
FlightGear and X-Plane. Keep this in mind when assessing the advantages
of a new, totally different format.

Thomas Förster wrote:
>>Example case: I've seen taxi lights standing besides the asphalt and on the
>>other hand others buried within the taxiway concrete. Just specifying that
>>there is taxiway lighting is not enough in my opinion.

...and that's why that is to change in the new apt.dat-format. They have
both polygonal pavement sections, but also polyline sections, by which
rows of lights, markings, etc., can be placed accurately.

Which brings us to the point where we have to draw our borderlights,
etc., ourselves _in addition_ to the pavement, where in the past we
"simply" placed a rectangle and activated lighting.

However, given proper tools - which is what TaxiDraw is going for - we
can make the tool support the user, by, e.g., automatically placing
lines of borderlights around any new pavement polygon and allow the user
to edit them or remove them as they wish.

Cheers,
Ralf