Hi,

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 00:34, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> Sounds like a significant improvement. Presumably you haven't noticed any
> degradation in performance anywhere?
I have no specific test set that I compare - but what I compared is not
slower.

> Going on the assumption that this is the future and there isn't any
> question of "if" we should move to OSG, and this is just a "when"...
>
> My view is that the old stuff should be branched and this should go
> straight into HEAD. As I see it, the major advantages of this are
> 1) People don't have to check out a new branch to try the new stuff
> 2) Pretty much everyone will be testing it day-to-day, so we'll find
> problems quicker.
> 3) People will have an extra incentive to fix any issues (both bugs and
> missing features) if they are hitting them every day.
>
> If it goes into a new branch, I doubt most people will take the time to
> check it out, so there will only be a small band of hardy adventurers
> using it. While I'd like to think that I'd be one of them, chances are I
> wouldn't find the time to be honest - I have enough problems keeping up
> with HEAD.
>
> It sounds like it is almost equivalent to plib/ssg already, and personally
> I'm prepared to put up with a small level of feature degradation for
> medium term gain.
>
> I guess the only reason why we might not want it on HEAD is if we're
> planning a release before the OSG version is likely to be stable/complete.
Yep.
Opinion counted.

> Out of my own ignorance, I have some supplementary questions:
> 1) Presumably this means we no-longer use plib for graphics. Does that
> mean  that things like landing lights are more feasible?
Yep.
There are remaining plib directories that are still needed. But At least Curt
and I think that we should import them into Simgear.
May be somebody can help *past* that pending checkin?

> 2)  How does this affect people running Windows. Do they have to install
> OSG themselves, or does it get packaged up with the installer?
I would recommend Olaf's VC8 builds.
He is already working on that so that at the time we check that in we have
something that works about as good the Linux port.
I have an IRIX machine available. Erik may hopefully excuse me - I would try
to recompile that on IRIX past it has appered in CVS.