On Friday 06 April 2007 02:39, Csaba Halász wrote:
> Nick had some trouble with the tacan on the lightning, so I had a peek at
> it. Worked for me all right. However, the instrument needle works as if it
> were a fixed compass card indicator, which it isn't. So there should be an
> additional rotation applied to adjust for the a/c heading. Patch attached.
Thanks... I think I noticed that before but clearly didn't get round to
actually fixing it!  If others confirm that your patch does the job then
someone with CVS access can feel free to commit it.  I'm likely to be away
for a few days, and don't have time to test it before I go.

> I also have some issues:
> 1) The lightning even has an ILS instrument but I could not find a
> DME. Have I overlooked it?
No, you haven't... despite having spent ages in the cockpit of the Lightning,
and having taken hundreds of photos on multiple occasions, I still haven't
found the DME readout!  I know where it is on later marks, but haven't found
it on the F.1A.  I would be delighted to add the readout if I knew what it
looked like and where it went...

> 2) How do you check if the tacan/vor/adf/whatever radio transmitter is
> in range? A digital display could go blank, but an instrument needle
> must point somewhere. Shouldn't there be an indicator light or
> something? Or is it just left to the pilot to listen for the morse
> code?
There would normally be an "unserviceable" flag; the Lightning has them for
the various attitude indicators, HSI, ILS display, etc as you have no doubt
seen.  The RMI actually should have two very unusual "flags" in the centre of
the dial, but I haven't modelled them yet because I can't find out precisely
what they show!  The problem is that though I have great access to the
cockpit, I only have the Pilot's Notes for later marks; the cockpit
instrumentation is very different in those, though most of the other systems
are similar.

> 3) In the lightning rmi and hsi animations there are a couple of
> interpolation tables for identity transformation. Do they have any
> purpose?
The Lightning was a learning exercise for me, as a "dry run" for making a
Buccaneer.  Since the "FG way" of learning these things is to borrow bits
from other a/c and adapt to suit, and I didn't always 100% understand the
bits I was borrowing, superfluous code is a distinct possibility :-)  I have
been (slowly) going back over parts of it with the benefit of much better
knowledge of how things ought to be done, tidying up to make it a bit easier
to maintain.

I'm quite amused that nobody has yet complained about the one instrument that
I know is broken in CVS! (I fixed it here, but haven't got round to getting
it committed yet.)  It's always nice to see other people actually using it,
and bug reports are almost as welcome as patches ;-)

Cheers,

AJ