Vivian Meazza wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just done a clean download of CVS-HEAD data and source. It
> compiles under MSVC8, but crashes after a few seconds of running. No
> error messages that I can see.
>
> The fix is in preferences.xml:
>
> <traffic-manager>
>     <enabled type="bool">false</enabled>
>     <instantaneous-action type="bool">false</instantaneous-action>
> </traffic-manager>
>
> Yesterday, before Durk's latest upload, FG here was running for about
> 10 mins before it reliably crashed when running traffic- manager -
> long enough to test the ground radar. I don't think that is the same
> bug as I had before where I could see the traffic
> manager instantiating ac just before crashing.
>
> To re-iterate - this is definitely a clean download, and the crash is
> avoidable. This appears to be a MSVC8-only bug, since I am sure that
> dozens of Linux folks out there would have reported it. Perhaps it is
> uniquely a problem here - anyone else seeing it?
>
> Vivian

I was able to reproduce Vivian's symptoms and narrow it down with a bit
of debug info. My tests:

1. Lastest source from CVS head
2. Compiled with optimisation for speed "/O2"
3. Ran it from fgrun 3 times with "<traffic-manager>
     <enabled type="bool">true</enabled>" and had it crash all 3 times
within 3 to 15 seconds of the sim finishing full initialisation
4. Ran it from fgrun 3 times with "<traffic-manager>
     <enabled type="bool">false</enabled>" letting it run from 3 minutes
to 7 minutes with no crashes before closing it.
5. Ran it with "TraffMan" enabled in debug mode from within the VC8 IDE
and found the following:

It's crashing on a memory access violation (segfault) on line 111 in
sg_path.cxx "if ( p[0] != sgDirPathSep ) {"

'p' is an invalid pointer at that point, causing the exception. The
following screencap shows the IDE debug info, include call stack trace:
http://139.78.95.188/flightgear/temp/vccrashdebug.gif

We'll keep discussing it in IRC and report any new findings here.

--
Reagan Thomas