Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Bug in JSBSim FGPropeller.cpp
Date: Tue 7 August 2007 21:03
From: "gh.robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: FlightGear developers discussions <flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>

On Tue 7 August 2007 20:00, Torsten Dreyer wrote:
> > > May be i don't understand your remark, and i could be wrong,
> > >
> > > but all aircraft propeller have not the same rotation direction ,
> > > some are CCW    on the same aircraft
> > > some are CW  on others  aircraft.
>
> Correct - and some aircraft have both of it: one CW and one CCW.
>
> > > Sure there is no problem with P-38L one propeller is given
> > >  <sense> -1 </sense>
> > > The other is given
> > >  <sense> 1 </sense>
> > >
> > > so, Sense could be -1 or 1 which is significant for the propeller
> > > effect.
> > >
> > > it is very important to keep in that calculation the Sense.
>
> Yes - also true.
>
> > In addition to, if these effect seems to be more than you espect it is
> > possible to reduce the value with  <p_factor> </p_factor>  with zero
> > there is no effect.
>
> Since the engines of the P-38L and the Seneca are turning in opposite
> directions, the p-factor of both propellers are compensating each other.
> Thats why aircraft with counterrotating props are made: they are easier to
> fly!
>
> Try yourself: Get the P-38L in the air and fly full throttle straight and
> level, open the property-browser for controls/flight. I need a right
> aileron deflection to keep the wings level. If I reduce power to idle, the
> aircraft turns sharply to the right with that aileron setting.
> This should not happen on aircraft with counterrotating props.

Yes there is some differences needed to keep the right heading , when we
modify the throttle value, but it is not exactly what you are describing.

When tuning the FDM during developpement:
I experienced a stable flight , waiting for the supercharger being stopped
(five minutes after take off)
I opened both property browser jsbsim/propulsion/engine[0]
and /jsbsim/propulsion/engine[1], i could notice some diff in between
blade-angle , thrust coefficient  of both propellers engines (i don't know
why)
If i reduce the throttle value the aircraft change slightly his heading,  the
aircraft stability is modified, because of the speed which decrease quickly,
that modification could be:  turn on the left, or turn on the right.
At that stage i modify again the aileron deflection to keep the right
 heading. If i increase again the throttle, i get again a stability problem,
 and the ac turn to right or to left.
I did not conclude it is due to a torque effect.

I have an other aircraft  the F4U-7 only one propeller   ,
the engine and propeller values are close to these we have with the P-38,
the torque effect on the F4U-7 is very high, and .........that is right.

So i can say we don't have any torque effect with the P-38L, we have more or
less a stability problem when the speed and the thrust are modified.

Regards

BTW: i have just finished the Noratlas 2501 which is only two engines ,
propeller both the same <sense>  ( viewed  from the pilot CCW).  with
<p_factor> 60</p_factor>

I do not notice  a very significant torque of the aircraft

--
Gérard