Thank you Vivian for that report,

I'm running Linux-2.4.34 with GCC-3.3.2 and make-3.79.2a1 , and have
checked for library conflicts, but ldd lists the same 5 .so files as
SimGear-0.3.10/simgear/math/SGMathTest, which DOES work correctly.

Checking further, I can say that the error occurs in SGMathTest.cxx at line 350
   // Check geodetic/geocentric/cartesian conversions
   if (!GeodesyTest())
     return EXIT_FAILURE;

But why would this newly un-commented test fail on my system?

I'm hoping to narrow down, if it is unique to my system somehow, or if anyone
else has gotten this error during make check.

Stewart