Hi *,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:52:55AM -0500, Curtis Olson wrote:
> On 9/17/07, Ralf Gerlich wrote:
> >
> > Holger Wirtz wrote:
> > > But they asked me if I want to write something like a VATSIM-proxy for
> > > FG to get arround the GPL problem. This proxy has to be closed-source.
> >
> > Hrm, so they are interested in getting FlightGear users into the boat,
> > but they are not willing to open their protocol? How big can that
> > interest in FlightGear users be relative to the interest in keeping
> > their protocol obscured? Might that be some security-by-obscurity thing?
>

> Here are a couple of my thoughts ...
>
> 1. Closed protocols can be a pain, but if that's the way they want to do
> things, we have to honor their wishes.  I'm not in the fanatical open-source
> camp that insists that all software and all protocols should be 100% open.
> People have to be able to put food on the table and pay their bills.  I
> agree that keeping the protocol closed only gives you a false sense of
> security, and probably slows development and improvements ...

I have a simple problem with the copyright of such a proxy. When the
protocol (and therefore the application) is closed source who can
distribute the proxy? The writer of the code does this not for money and
he cannot be sure if the program is selled in future or only distributed
with reservations.

Currently I have no interest in writing code for applications where
someone else can define who and under which conditions the software
gets.

But perhaps someone else has interest in writing a VATSIM proxy?

[...]

Regards, Holger

--
#####  #### ##  ##   Holger Wirtz         Phone : (+49 30) 884299-40
##  ## ##   ### ##   DFN-Verein           Fax   : (+49 30) 884299-70