David Megginson wrote:
> On 31/10/2007, Christian Buchner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I would like to get a few pointers where to look for information about the
>> terrain engine that is currently used by
>> Flight Gear. In particular about the irregular terrain mesh - how is it
>
> Our current terrain engine was great in the late 1990s (when MSFS
> still had a flat world), but it's pretty stale now, mainly from a lack
> of interest and the difficulty of understanding the code.  It's
> actually deteriorated in some ways -- note that all the Great Lakes
> have been forced to sea level now, so that Lakes Huron, Michigan, and
> Superior are in deep gorges, and all the cities beside them are
> perched on cliff faces (that wasn't happening a couple of years ago).
> I'm not sure that we should really be maintaining our own terrain
> engine any more, though -- we should concentrate on aircraft models
> and flight dynamics, and try to interface with an existing engine.
That depends on where your interests lie, I suppose.

A flight simulator has specialized needs from a terrain engine: good close-up
detail
for near or on- earth operations, terrain stretching to a far horizon, no-pause
of terrain from everywhere on the round earth, accurate material properties for
ground
polygons. I don't know of any free project that offers this.

> One promising prospect is Demeter, which works with OpenSceneGraph
> (already supported by FGFS):
>
> http://www.tbgsoftware.com/index.html
>
> Unfortunately, Demeter itself seems to have gone a bit stale -- some
> of the links from the site don't work any more, and it won't compile
> with the latest version of OSG.  It does, however, support LOD and
> lots of other nice stuff (check out the screen shots!).  Maybe someone
> should take it over if the maintainer has abandoned it, or fork it if
> the maintainer hasn't but is stalling on new releases.

It doesn't do round-earth at all...

> The best thing we could do in FGFS, in the meantime, would be to
> isolate scenery-engine dependencies so that it's easy to switch to a
> new engine when it's ready.

That's not a bad idea; isolating the scenery engine would make it viable as an
independent project as well.

I think we have the expertise, both on the production / GIS side and the
programming
side, to create a first-class world terrain and terrain engine that would be
taken up
by other projects too. I personally want to work on this, but I need to help
get our
OSG house in order first.

I'll start a Wiki page with some of my ideas (which aren't very original).

Tim

- --
Red Hat France SARL, 171 Avenue Georges Clemenceau
92024 Nanterre Cedex, France.
Siret n° 421 199 464 00056