Hello,

Few thoughts

as FlightGear moves to osg there is a nice virtual terrain project which is
integrates with osg.
The site for the project is http://www.vterrain.org/ and some papers are
here http://www.vterrain.org/LOD/Papers/.

Personally I like Thatcher Ulrich adaptive quadtrees approach ( which allows
to load chunks in runtime and thus it is possible to ) the approach is
implemented in Soul Ride game which source could be obtained here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/soulride/ ( this one specific implementation
does not feature   loading new chunks but I seen the java code with the
functionality.

anyhow there are quite a bit of approaches which are presented at
http://www.vterrain.org/LOD/Papers/ and some are more hardware friendly than
adaptive quadtrees.

Regards
Sergey Kurdakov