I will be out of town this upcoming week (Dec 10-14) so I'd like to send out
a quick email before I go.  I am going to be doing open-ocean over water
flight testing of a UAV project I've been involved with.  NOAA is the
customer and the goal is to use this system to find ocean debris (such as
ghost nets) and possibly use it to do endangered species surveys in remote,
hard to reach areas.  One way or another, I suspect I'll come back with at
least a few stories!

Durk is planning to roll up the official source/data tar balls for the next
release sometime this week.

Hopefully the Mac/Windows packagers can jump on this soon after the release
is finalized and get binary versions ready to go for those respective
platforms.  And certainly, the linux, freebsd, solaris, and sgi crowd can
also be packinging up this version too.

When I return, hopefully everything will be ready so that I can post all the
files to the official locations, make an official announcement, and do all
the other remaining details for the release.

We had a great debate about version numbers and I don't want to spend too
much time summarizing that thread, but what I took away from it is that
there is a variety of opinions and no general consensus.  My desire is to
call this v1.0 and by my reading, there were at least as many posters that
supported a v1.0 as supported any of the other options.  Certainly there
were many other good ideas and many good supporting logic for those ideas,
but at some point we have to make a choice and go with it.

I hope to have at least some time in the evenings to check email, but I
don't anticipate a lot of time for responding or dealing with complicated
questions or issues.

Best regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/
Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d