On sam 22 décembre 2007, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * gerard robin -- Saturday 22 December 2007:
> > The problem here is we don't  have a generic solution this must
> > be calculated for each carrier or any AI object according to the
> > .xml file definition , one calculation for Nimitz one for Foch one
> > for .......   and so on.
>
> That's not the problem. Doing that for each carrier is acceptable.
> It's not like we'll have dozens of carriers around in the next time.

No, not dozens , but, sure,  in the long term   more than two , oldies and
recent carriers(aircraft) and carriers(helicopters)  and others ship able to
get helicopters, landing with cables and mooring features

> And even if: noting down offsets is something that we as modelers
> do all the time anyway, as we need it in animations.
>
> What would be a *very* bad idea, is to integrate all the offsets
> in every single carrier capable aircraft. What we could do for now
> is to just add the cat offsets to the model XML file (see attached
> patch). You'd then find the coords in /ai/models/carrier/catapults/.
> We'd just have to add such a block to each carrier, which is a
> matter of minutes. More values could easily be added. It would be
> more elegant to do that as a regular XML block, but that's not
> supported yet.
>
> m.

Yes,  it can be a solution (though the best would to have it in specific
properties from code)  i will dig it.

> Ah, you want to avoid the calculation per object. Frankly, I don't
> think that's such a generic problem. Most carrier capable aircraft
> do just fine right now. And we could add a function to aircraft.nas
> which reports the distance to the nearest cat (ahead). But we need
> the offsets in the tree, as done by the patch.
>
> m.

yes

> Well, the FGAICarrier code already finds catapult and wire nodes,
> maybe we can just add them to the property tree there?
> That way the offsets need not be explicitly defined (one less chance
> for mismatched model and data).

It is the best way, to have in property  the coordinates of the points which
are defined in the AI model  (may be, the precision would a problem)

--
Gérard
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/