Hi!

Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:51:16 +0100, gerard wrote in message
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> hmmmm,
>> AS LONG, we have not sea level consistency with OSG sea tiles  and
>> sea coastline which makes the the ships flying over.
>> The carriers and others ships are welcome in the the /AI/AIrcraft
>> directory.
>
> ..precisely _how_ do we model the "sea level" surface of water
> bodies like lakes, sea and the oceans right now???

Lakes, sea and ocean are quite different things. All areas covered by
the "Landmasss"-theme of VMAP0 are subject to SRTM/USGS elevation data,
so that most lake elevations are based on this data. TerraGear adjusts
the levels of all lake vertices to the same elevation, which is
determined as the mean of the original elevation of the lake vertices.

IIRC the slope of streams is specifically limited, leading to the
typical cut-ins in some situations.in mountaineous regions.

Sea and Ocean all have elevation 0 MSL by default, except that the
curvature of the earth is typically less accurately modeled than for
non-ocean tiles. Originally we had simple quads for all-ocean tiles, but
IIRC that has been changed (Tim?)

All-Ocean tiles - with some exceptions in the polar area - are generated
on the fly by FlightGear.

Cheers,
Ralf