On Wednesday 19 March 2008 15:15, Innis Cunningham wrote:

> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > To: flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:53:08 +0000
> > Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Sound problem stops FG start
> >
> > On Wednesday 19 March 2008 11:29, Innis Cunningham wrote:
> >> Hi All
> >> Have installed FG 9.10 on Ubuntu 7.10 on a 64bit machine
> >> running 32bit OS. I get this line when FG quits at installing
> >> subsystems Error loading MK VIII sound sample
> >> "application-data-base-failed.wav": Failed to load wav file: I
> >> have checked openalrc for the following.
> >> (define devices '(alsa))
> >> (define alsa-out-device "plug:dmix")
> >> And they are present.I tried running with sound disabled and
> >> with the sound bits edited out of the preferences.xml but
> >> still it aborts with the above error. I have FG 9.10 on my 32
> >> bit system and it runs fine.
> >> How can I get around this problem I just want to see how FG
> >> goes on my 64bit system I dont care if there is sound or not.
> >>
> >> T.I.A
> >> Cheers
> >> Innis
> >
> > Well, as a stop-gap work-around I guess you could remove or
> > substitute the references to it in the mkviii 3d instrument.
> >
> > NP with it here though, on 32bit sw & hw (Debian etch).
> >
> > LeeE
>
> Thanks Lee I dont have any problem either with it on the various
> 32bit copies I have running on my 32 bit machine it has only
> appeared on the 32bit copy I have on my 64 bit machine.
> The thing is I was trying to start with the UFO and it has no
> instruments. What would be calling this file.
>
> Cheers
> Innis

That _is_ strange re getting it with the UFO.  What happens if you
remove the mkvii instrument entirely?

Can you play the sample separately - through xmms, or whatever media
player you use?  Can you play _any_ sound samples at all?  Is it
just with FG that you get this problem?

Heh - sorry about sounding like an interrogation:)

LeeE